As a business owner, it is important to expand your business’s online presence. To do this, there are ways to boost brand awareness, such as guest blogging and brand partnerships.
Another way to boost brand awareness is through Search Engine Optimization. This strategy involves targeting keywords that align with the user’s searches instead of paying for advertisements.
This article will mainly focus on how keyword research helps elevate your business’s brand awareness as well as how to conduct that research.
What Is Keyword Research?
Keyword research is looking for and analyzing valuable and relevant words—a single word, phrases, and queries—that your audience uses to look for something. For example, if you have a business as an event planner, potential customers might look for keywords like “best wedding planner in Chicago” or “affordable event catering.”
Why Keyword Research Matters
According to a study, 90.63% of content gets no traffic from Google. One of the reasons is that most websites publish content that no one is searching for. Keyword research helps to determine which users’ queries to target in blog posts and articles.
The Benefits of Effective Keyword Research
- Improved Visibility. You rank higher in search results after using the right keywords in your content. When you are on the top of Search Engine Results Pages (SERPs), people are likelier to see and know about your business.
- Targeted Traffic. Targeting keywords aims to attract users who search for those keywords. When content is published for them, and they search for it, it is more likely to drive traffic to your content as it will be seen as relevant and valuable.
- Competitive Advantage. Conducting keyword research helps you create content that centers on your users’ relevant topics and keywords and helps you stand out from your competitors.
- Enhanced Content Strategy. Keyword research helps you identify gaps in your content marketing strategy and create content that aligns with your audiences’s interests, questions, and concerns.
What Is Brand Awareness and Why Is It Important?
Your marketing funnel helps generate sales. Brand awareness is the first step and an important foundation for acquiring customers in the funnel. Keyword research aims to raise brand awareness to target audiences and establish authority.
The Relationship Between Keyword Research and Brand Awareness
Keyword research and brand awareness are interlinked in digital marketing. By associating your website and its pages with the right keywords, you can ensure they appear where you want them to and be found by potential customers.
How to Conduct Keyword Research for Your Brand’s Visibility
- Identify Your Target Audience. The target audience will likely buy your products or services. They share common attributes and characteristics. Knowing who you are trying to reach is not enough; you should also know what they want and how they would like to engage.
- Brainstorm Your Branded Keywords. When choosing keywords related to your brand, think first about what you sell and what defines your business. Consider what customers would search for if they were in your products and services market.
- Choose the Right Keywords. In choosing the right keywords, you need to understand the different types of keywords—seed or short, mid-tail, and long-tail keywords. Use multiple keywords or phrases, be descriptive, and ensure relevance to your business.
- Seed or short keywords consist of one to two words. These are broad words with high search volume and competition. When using these keywords, you might not rank highly. If you do, it might be after a very long time, as your competitors will be more established.
- Mid-tail keywords consist of two to three words. They have specificity so their competition is not as high as short tail keywords, though they still have a decent amount of search volume. You’ll still need great content to rank well.
- Long-tail keywords have more than three specific words. They have a low search volume and competition. However, ranking with these keywords doesn’t increase your site’s traffic very much.
- Assess Keyword Search Volume. Search volumes refer to the number of people searching for a particular query in a specific timeline. Analyzing search volume gives a better understanding of keywords’ popularity and competition. You can use Google Trends, SEMrush or Ahrefs to analyze keyword search volumes. Keywords with very high search volume have higher competition, making it difficult for you to compete with more established websites. Assess keywords with search volumes that you can rank for.
- Analyze Keyword Relevance. Analyze your keywords by looking at your competitors. This will help you understand the popularity of those keywords and if they match the content you are creating.
- Evaluate Keyword Competition. Evaluate keyword competition using Google Ads Keyword Planner and Ahrefs Keyword Difficulty Tool. It is easiest to rank for low competition and high search volume keywords.
- Prioritize Keywords. Prioritize keywords with their search volume and relevance to the content. Use them to optimize content and improve visibility.
- Measure the Impact of Your Keyword Research Efforts. Monitor your keyword ranking performance, organic search traffic, click-through rate (CTR), and conversion rate to measure the impact of your keyword research efforts.
Start your keyword research today to reach the right customers and increase your business’s visibility!
Kevin Dam is the CEO and Founder of Aemorph. A seasoned entrepreneur and digital marketing expert, Kevin started in digital marketing, specializing in Search Engine Optimisation since 2010, and is helping Finance, Insurance, E-commerce, Medical, B2B, and SaaS companies. Kevin is also a certified adult educator in Singapore, delivering high-quality, relevant, and easy-to-implement training to ensure learners can get immediate results and build upon their knowledge. He’s currently building Mint Superteams with a mission to train 1 million people and place them into companies.