CONCORD, N.H. — The Trump administration has frozen about $4.39 million in federal funding for reproductive health care in New Hampshire, Maine, Connecticut, and Rhode Island, Planned Parenthood in New England said Tuesday.
The money, provided under a federal family planning program called Title X, provides services such as cancer screenings, birth control, annual exams, and testing and treatment for sexually transmitted infections for low-income and uninsured residents.
In New Hampshire, the freeze affects $500,000 a year, while in Maine the frozen funds total about $2 million per year, according to Planned Parenthood of Northern New England. Planned Parenthood of Southern New England said an additional $1.89 million for the program, which serves 48,000 people in Connecticut and Rhode Island, has also been frozen.
In a statement, the organization said there’s no timeline of when and if the funding will be restored.
The US Department of Health and Human Services paused $27.5 million in grants, citing concerns about grantees violating federal laws that prohibit illegal discrimination and the provision of federal taxpayer benefits to illegal aliens, according to an official in the Trump administration.
Vermont and Massachusetts do not appear to have been affected by the freeze for now, according to Kayla Montgomery, vice president of public affairs at PPNNE.
While the state of New Hampshire receives additional Title X funding separately from Planned Parenthood, all of the family planning programs in Maine are impacted by the freeze, according to Montgomery. She said the freeze will pose a challenge when it comes to providing health care.
“We are going to serve people regardless of their income or zip code but these cuts add up and it does jeopardize our ability to provide this care,” said Montgomery.
Planned Parenthood saw 6,468 Title X patients in Maine and 7,067 Title X patients in New Hampshire during the last fiscal year, according to the organization.
“Targeting the health care of Granite Staters is a bad idea,” said Nicole Clegg, CEO of Planned Parenthood of Northern New England.
“The fact that Elon Musk and DOGE are trying to take away this care speaks to how deeply disconnected he is from the lives and needs of Granite Staters. The richest man in the world shouldn’t be deciding whether or not the women of New Hampshire can get the birth control they need,” she said.
Nine Planned Parenthood affiliates were notified on Monday that the Trump administration would withhold funding starting on April 1, according to a release from the organization.
Last week, the Wall Street Journal reported that the federal family-planning funding would be cut off as the administration investigates if it went toward diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts.
Planned Parenthood clinics were notified their funding was being “temporarily withheld” in a letter that took issue with the organization for its “commitment to black communities” and for serving undocumented immigrants, POLITICO reported.
In New Hampshire, there are two streams of Title X funding — one goes directly to Planned Parenthood while the other goes through the state’s Department of Health and Human Services. A spokesperson for the state health department did not immediately respond to a question about the status of the state’s Title X funding.
However, that program is facing possible cuts from state lawmakers, who proposed eliminating the state’s contribution to the program last week. The New Hampshire Family Planning Program is currently administered at seven locations around the state by four providers.
The proposal would eliminate $840,000 per year in state funding for the program, which serves about 2,300 patients, NHPR reported.
Amanda Gokee can be reached at amanda.gokee@globe.com. Follow her @amanda_gokee.